Armando Arenas joined OLIVARES in 2000 and became a partner in January 2017. He has experience working on a range of IP matters, including consulting and litigation on trademark, patent, unfair competition, trade dress protection, and misleading advertising cases before the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI), Federal Court of Tax and Administrative Affairs (FCTA), Federal Circuit Courts (FCC) and the Supreme Court of Justice (SCJ) Regulatory Affairs and Public Acquisitions. Mr. Arenas is especially adept in patent litigation and protection under Mexico’s patent linkage system and regularly handles cases before the Federal Commission for Protection against Sanitary Risks (COFEPRIS). He has experience with regulatory matters under Mexico’s health laws and provides strategic advice in complex patent litigation cases and dispute resolutions. His clients and representative cases span all sectors of the health industry, including pharma, biotech, medtech, diagnostics, animal health, vaccines, and health services.
Mr. Arenas’s representative cases include:
- Handled first case in Mexico in which the marketing authorization for a pharmaceutical product that violated a formulation patent listed in the Linkage Gazette was revoked
- Won first case of a use patent related to public tender being effectively enforced in Mexico.
- First case in Mexico enforcing the linkage system, wherein the local regulatory agency included a use patent for allopathic medicines in the Linkage Gazette.[this sounds similar to the first case listed – can you provide more detail so we can distinguish it further?]
- Secured a judgment declaring the unconstitutionality of article 167 bis of the Health Supplies Regulation, as it does not provide the right of the titleholder of a patent to be heard during the prosecution of the marketing authorization
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Juris Doctor, 1995
- Asociación Interamericana de la Propiedad Industrial (ASIPI)
- Asociación Mexicana para la Protección de la Propiedad Intelectual (AMPPI)
- Barra Mexicana de Abogados (BMA)
- Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, Colegio de Abogados, A.C.(ANADE)
- Asociación Internacional para la Protección de la Propiedad Industrial (AIPPI),